Dental implants have revolutionized the way we think about tooth replacement. Whether you've lost a tooth due to injury, decay, or gum disease, dental implants are a durable and natural-looking solution that can help you regain confidence in your smile and improve your overall quality of life. Throughout this blog, we will explore what dental implants are, how they work, and why they're an excellent choice for patients who are looking to have functional, natural-looking teeth.
What is a Dental Implant?
A dental implant is a titanium screw that is used as an artificial tooth root. The screw is inserted into the gum and assists in anchoring the replacement tooth or bridge. A dental implant acts as an artificial tooth root that provides a stable foundation for a replacement tooth or bridge. Over time, the implant integrates with your jawbone to secure your new tooth or bridge.
Dental Implants: The Basics
Receiving an implant is a multistep process that begins with booking a consultation with the doctor to determine your eligibility. During the initial visit, your dentist will take a three-dimensional X-ray to ensure the patient's bone quality in the missing tooth area is adequate for implant placement. Following the x-ray, the doctor will use a special oral camera that scans all of the teeth in real time to capture the positioning of the bite to determine the optimal position of the future tooth. If you and the dentist agree that an implant is the best option for you, another appointment will be scheduled for the implant to be inserted.
During the implant procedure, your dentist will first numb the area with a topical gel to provide comfort prior to fully freezing the gums and surrounding tissue. We let the topical anesthetic absorb into the gum for approximately five minutes to create a numbing effect. Once the outside of the gums are frozen, a small amount of local anesthetic is inserted inside the gums to ensure the implant placement is a comfortable, painless experience. Once the patient is completely frozen, the dentist will create a small incision in the gum tissue to expose the bone. The implant is carefully placed into the bone, and the gum tissue is stitched closed. In most cases, you'll be able to return home the same day with instructions for taking care of your implant while it heals.
Over the next several months, the implant will integrate with your jawbone in a process called osseointegration. During this time, you'll need to follow your dentist's post-surgical instructions to ensure proper healing and prevent any future complications.
Once your implant has fully healed and fused with your jawbone, your dentist will attach a custom-made, natural-looking replacement tooth or bridge to the implant. The result is a functional and stable replacement that looks and feels like your natural teeth.
Benefits of Dental Implants
There are many reasons why dental implants have become a popular choice for tooth replacement. Here are just a few of the benefits:
- Improved oral health: Unlike other tooth replacement options that can damage adjacent teeth or cause bone loss, dental implants help preserve your natural teeth and bone structure.
- Enhanced comfort and functionality: With a dental implant, you can bite and chew confidently without worrying about artificial teeth slipping out of place. You also don't have to worry about removing the implant for cleaning or maintenance.
- Durability: Dental implants are made from high quality, biocompatible materials like titanium, which can last for decades with proper care.
- Improved appearance: The natural-looking replacement teeth attached to your implant will match the colour and shape of your natural teeth, enhancing your overall appearance and boosting your confidence.
- Enhanced Well-being: Dental implants replace lost teeth and provide the same functionality as the previous teeth the patient once had. The facts are simple: When we have teeth, we can chew easier, which is essential for living a well-balanced, healthy life.
- Convenience: Dental implants eliminate the need to remove and insert teeth, making them a convenient and hassle-free solution for tooth replacement.
Dental implants are an excellent choice for restoring missing teeth and improving your overall oral health. If you're considering dental implants, choose a qualified and experienced dentist who can develop a personalized treatment plan that meets your unique needs. With proper care and maintenance, dental implants can provide long-lasting, natural-looking results that can help you feel confident and comfortable for years to come.